There are many definitions of “engine building”. There are also several price ranges for such work. There will always be someone who will charge less or more money to do the same type of service. The real value lies in the knowledge, skill, tools, experience of the builder, quality of finish, and the ability to warranty the work done. We understand that an engine failure can cost more than the parts…it can result in wasted time, physical injury, and sometimes embarrassment. We can help whether your engine is for a restoration, custom, or racing machine. We also blueprint engines, with complete documentation of specifications. Our prices are very reasonable for the level of quality attained.
Every engine built by Franz and Grubb Engine undergoes the same process of reconditioning.
• Disassembly of entire engine and parts cleaned
• Assessment of parts condition and what is needed
• Crankshaft thoroughly cleaned, checked for cracks, sludge tube replaced, journals ground to size and micro polished
• Connecting rods checked for straightness, new connecting rod small end bushes installed and sized
• Cylinder head is cleaned, checked for distortion, new guides are installed and honed for proper clearance, spring rates are checked, valve seats are cut with 3 angles, and valves are installed and checked for proper height.
• Cylinder is bored to next size, finish honed and painted, pistons are weight matched and correct ring end gap is set on each ring
• Rocker boxes are rebuilt with new seals and any worn parts are replaced.
• Transmission is inspected for flaws and rebuilt using high quality bearings, bushings, and seals
• Camshaft bushings are measured, and if necessary replaced and sized
• Tappets are refaced if worn, or if new cams are fitted
• Clutch is fitted with any components that need replacement and aligned.
• The engine is then carefully assembled, and all clearances are checked and corrected. Ignition is installed and timing is set. All specifications, weights and clearances are written on a build sheet. The final result is a trouble free engine that will perform for years to come
We suggest that your engine be balanced at the time of rebuilding. This minimizes vibration and therefore extends the life of the engine. There are numerous other things we can do to enhance the performance of your twin, please contact us for additional details or help with your project.
Thread repair inserts installed $20 each
Engine balancing to specified factor (including heavy metal) $180-300
*includes build sheet
*price does not include balancing of rotating assembly
*turn around time varies
A deposit for a complete engine build is necessary before any machine work is done. This deposit is to cover costs of parts and may be made in cash, check, or credit card. The average time for a rebuild varies, and detailed specifications will be included in writing. The final balance will be due when completed. Please contact us for any questions, details, or to make arrangements.